At Montanuniversität Leoben, we face the pressing social challenges of our time in the fields of resources, climate, energy and environment. Are you interested in studying at Montanuniversität Leoben? But you still have questions. Here you will find answers. Here you will find answers to general questions, answers to the Bachelor's programmes, to the Master's programmes and answers to frequently asked questions from international prospective students.

At some Austrian universities, different selection procedures have been introduced for a variety of study programmes in order to reduce the number of first-year students embarking on their studies. Our study programmes at Leoben are not affected by this issue, there is no selection process and enrollment is simple. All students with Austrian school-leaving certificates can enroll at Montanuniversität.

If you graduated outside of Austria, or already have a degree in a technical subject, you will need to go through an application process. Please note that Joint Master Programmes and Double Degree Programmes have selection processes. More information can be found on the websites of the respective master's programmes.

According to legislation, all those wishing to study for a bachelor's, master's or diploma degree programme at Montanuniversität Leoben must register in time. All dates and deadlines can be found here

Please note: Pre-registration does not replace the need for enrollment (admission to study)! You do not need a school-leaving certificate for pre-registration. You can pre-register for multiple universities or study programmes – if in doubt, register with us, as: you do not have to unregister from Montanuniversität, if you eventually decide not to study in Leoben.

For detailed information on the admission process, please find information here.

There is no specific grade point average required at Austrian universities.

The application for admission has to reach the university at least

by September 5 for the winter semester (date of receipt) and
by February 5 for the summer semester (date of receipt) of each year complete with all necessary documents.

Academic Calendar

Ordentliche Studierende aus Österreich, einem EU- oder EWR-Staat und Studierende, denen Österreich auf Grund eines völkerrechtlichen Vertrages dieselben Rechte für den Berufszugang gewährt wie Inländern (z.B. Konventionsflüchtlinge), sind für die Mindeststudiendauer ihres Studiums plus zwei Toleranzsemester vom Studienbeitrag befreit. Es ist lediglich der ÖH-Beitrag zu entrichten.
Weitere Informationen findest du hier.

ECTS = European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System

These "credit points" intend to make courses and their associated exams comparable and more transperent across the European Higher Education Area. The number of credit points indicate the amount of work load associated with a certain course and exam.

You can either rent a flat – alone or with others as a flat-share – or stay in one of the many halls of residence at Montanuniversität Leoben. We recommend that you apply promptly, if you want a place in a hall of residence. 

Technically, you can start your study programme at Montanuniversität Leoben in the summer semester. However, first-year lectures start in the winter semester and build upwards on this basis. You will have much more work to do, if you dive straight into the summer semester.

There are enough places available in the lectures and exercises for everyone – mass university is a foreign concept in Leoben.

We have agreements with numerous universities in Europe and further afield that will allow you to spend one or two semesters abroad. Studying abroad not only helps you learn a foreign language, but also boosts your cultural understanding and flexibility, increases your chances of finding a great first job and generally enriches your life. MIRO - Montanuniversität International Relations Office is there to support and advise all students who want to study abroad. 

More information on studying abroad here

The minimum duration of study for a bachelor's degree is 7 semesters (including one internship semester). For a master's degree, the duration of study of study is 4 semesters.

Great emphasis is placed on personal supervision right from the start at Montanuniversität Leoben. To make the first few weeks of university life easier for new students, you will be looked after by students from other years as part of a tutorial programme and you can go to them with questions and problems and ask their advice during that time. 

In the first six weeks of the winter semester, within the framework of the "STEOP", the courses "Basic academic skills" and "Introduction to STEM subjects" are completed. In "Basic academic skills", the essentials of rhetoric and presentation technology or how to work with Office applications are taught. The course "Introduction to STEM subjects" offers an overview of the basic science and mathematics required for the field of study. In addition to becoming familiar with the basic terms in the respective subjects, first-year students will also gain an understanding of the thematic interconnection of the various subjects. If there are any questions, the "peer teachers" from higher semesters will be there to help so that the "STEOP" will be completed in November.

The first year of study is almost identical for all students at Montanuniversität Leoben. As a result, students can switch study programmes seamlessly at the end of the first year without losing any time. The first two semesters teach you the basics of Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics that are required for studying engineering. This year of common studies makes the average course duration much shorter. There are plenty of practice and laboratory places in every subject. 

1. Pre-registration
2. After pre-registering/applying to study, enroll at the Study Support Center with the following original documents:

  • Passport or birth certificate/proof of citizenship combined with an ID-card
  • School-leaving certificate or equivalent certificate
  • If transferring from another Austrian university additionally:
    • Confirmation of withdrawal ('Abgangsbescheinigung')
    • Student record sheet

3. You are welcome to visit us at any time during the admission period at our opening hours from Monday to Friday between 09:00 AM to 12:00 PM Uhr at the Study Support Center vorbeikommen or make an appointment in advance throughTimify vereinbaren.

Questions about Master studies at Montanuniversität

I am an Austrian or German citizen and want to start a master's programme. How do I proceed?

Grundsätzlich kann mit unterschiedlichen, technischen Bachelorabschlüssen auf der Montanuniversität ein Masterstudium inskribiert werden.

Sie müssen zuerst einen Antrag auf Gleichwertigkeit ihres bisherigen BAC-Studiums stellen. In diesem Verfahren prüft der Studiengangsbeauftragte, ob noch Ergänzungsleistungen erbracht werden müssen, um zum Masterstudium zugelassen zu werden.

Bei erforderlichen Ergänzungsleistungen bis zu 30 ECTS können Sie sofort das Masterstudium inskribieren und die fehlenden Prüfungen während der ersten beiden Semester nachholen. Wurden mehr als 30 ECTS Ergänzungsleistungen gefordert, empfehlen wir zuerst das Bachelorstudium zu inskribieren und nach Absolvierung einiger Lehrveranstaltungen mit dem Masterstudium zu beginnen.

Der Antrag kann erst nach Abschluss des Bachelorstudiums eingereicht werden. Erforderliche Unterlagen für den Antrag auf Gleichwertigkeit:

  • Abschlussdokumente Bachelorstudium (Bescheid, Studienerfolgsnachweis, Zeugnis)
  • Praxisnachweise
  • Liste der Lehrinhalte
  • Lebenslauf

Die Dokumente können Sie uns per E-Mail an  senden. Zur Inskription müssen Sie persönlich mit einem Lichtbildausweis und den originalen Dokumenten zum Study Support Center kommen. Die Zulassung zu Masterstudien kann auch außerhalb der allgemeinen Zulassungsfrist erfolgen, d.h. Sie können auch während des Semesters inskribieren.

General questions from international students

This programme prepares international students who have been admitted to Montanuniversität Leoben for additional or supplementary exams. If the higher education entrance qualification obtained abroad is not equivalent to the Austrian school leaving certificate [Matura], the necessary supplementary examinations must be completed before the start of studies.

If you do not yet have adequate language skills in German (B2 acc. to CEFR), you can be admitted to MUL as a non-degree student with knowledge of German at level A2 until you can provide proof of level B2.

You can find more information on the website University Preparation Programme.

For bachelor's and master's programmes held in German, applicants need to submit a German language proficiency at level A2 (according to CEFR) at the time of applying. Certificates may not be older than 2 years. For enrollment as a full-degree student you need to provide German skills at level B2. If your proficiency in German has not yet reached B2, then you can register at Montanuniversität Leoben as a non-degree student until you are able to document German language competence at the required level.

Find more information here: University Preparation Programme Leoben

For master's degrees held in English IELTS (minimum 6 points) or TOEFL ibt (minimum 80 points) or TOEFL pbt (minimum 550 points) are required.

No, Montanuniversität Leoben does not offer full-time scholarships. You can search for scholarships & grants at. For students who are already enrolled, various funding organisations offer scholarships and awards, which are published in the university’s gazette during the current academic year.

Further Information

Study Support Center

Phone: +43 3842 402-7410



Office hours from Monday to Friday from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM and by appointment