Recognition of examinations, other academic achievements and activities

General information

What can you have recognised?

  • Achievements from recognised post-secondary educational institutions;
  • Achievements from vocational secondary schools (BHS in German) in the vocationally qualifying subjects required for future employment;
  • Scientific activities or scientific- or training-related internships in companies or research institutions outside the university and in jointly organised programmes outside the participating educational institutions, which can provide scientific preparatory training.

This is provided that there are no significant differences between the acquired competences (learning outcomes) and the competences of the course of the curriculum. Significant differences can arise, in particular, from the allocation to different NQF qualification levels. The assessment is the responsibility of the SGB (Studiengangsbeauftragter = study programme official) and the governing body for study law.

What can you not have recognised?

The recognition of scientific work is not permitted.

The recognition of examinations taken at another university or teacher training college contrary to the provisions of § 63 paras. 8 and 9 UG 2002 is excluded.

Where should the application be submitted?

The relevant application form and the necessary documents must be submitted electronically to the Study Support Center at this e-mail address: ssc(at) The staff will formally review the application and forward it to the governing body responsible for study law.

I am currently still studying under an old version of the curriculum that is being phased out and would like to switch to the new curriculum soon. How can I have my previous achievements recognised from "old" to "new"?

Your previous examination results will be recognised automatically in accordance with the equivalence regulations after you have announced your change of curriculum. A separate application is not necessary. Please note that a change is only possible during the enrolment period!

What are equivalencies and what do I need them for?

Equivalencies are approved allocations of individual courses as well as entire course packages in the constantly changing course plan of the curricula. They serve to make the transition to new curricula easier for students. Equivalencies apply exclusively within the curriculum for which they were defined. Therefore, the applicable equivalency lists for each degree programme can usually be found at the end of each curriculum.

As part of the comprehensive 2022 curriculum reform at MUL, the equivalencies available for all Bachelor's programmes when switching from old to new were published in a separate equivalency regulation/recognition regulation in MBL 63rd edition 2022/2023 No. 87. They are also available under this Link

This equivalency regulation also specifies which courses can be completed by students of an old curriculum version that can still be studied until 02/2027 (if required) according to the new curriculum and correspond to the old curriculum, if all courses "according to the old curriculum" should not be offered until 02/2027.

Is there a list of available equivalencies and possible recognitions when switching from the old to the new curriculum version in the Bachelor's programme?

Yes, the equivalency lists were also published in the recognition regulation, MBL 63rd edition 2022/2023 No. 87.

Is there an ECTS upper limit for an application for recognition?

Yes, recognition of credits from a higher vocational school is permitted up to a total of 60 ECTS. This also applies to the recognition of professional and non-professional achievements. In total, these credits can only be recognised up to a maximum of 90 ECTS credits.

Can examinations from non-degree programmes also be recognised for degree programmes?

Only to a limited extent: Examinations taken by non-degree students are only to be recognised for regular studies if there are no significant differences insofar as they are:

  1. within the framework of university or college courses;
  2. were taken before completing the school-leaving examination or the university entrance qualification examination.
Can an application for recognition be submitted before the STEOP?

Yes, that is possible.

Can an application for recognition be submitted during a leave of absence?

No, examinations cannot be recognised during the leave of absence, as this counts as an examination attempt and positive assessment of the corresponding examination. Applications for recognition of examinations can therefore be submitted at the earliest during the semester following the leave of absence.

Do I have to apply for recognition of courses that I have completed as early Master's work?

If courses from the Master's programme were already completed during the Bachelor's programme, and thus before admission to the Master's programme, the application for recognition is NOT REQUIRED! These examinations are (as before) automatically recognised by regulation upon admission to the Master's programme.

I am planning to study abroad and would like to have my academic achievements from abroad recognised. What do I have to do?

Before starting your studies abroad, a Learning Agreement with the planned courses must be signed by the partner university and the SGB at Montanuniversität Leoben. You will receive an advance notification as a basis for recognition after your studies abroad. After your return and on presentation of the foreign study documents, you then apply for recognition of the credits actually completed. The SGB are bound by the content of the pre-recognition notification. All details and further advice can be obtained from the MIRO outgoing coordinator.

I took an exam in my degree programme A and would now like to take it again in degree programme B. Is that possible?

Yes, that is possible. There is no obligation to submit an individual application for recognition. Exception: If a recognition regulation has been issued between degree programme A and degree programme B, recognition is by regulation and the examination cannot be taken again.